According to the Vision Council of America, 12.2 million Americans require some sort of vision correction but don’t use any. Nearly 50% of parents with children under 12 have never taken their children to an eye care professional.
*DON’T FORGET! With the Dental & Vision Discount Program through Careington, members of the Compass Rose Health Plan receive DISCOUNTS on exceptional eye care services such as eye exams, glasses, contacts, and LASIK. To learn more, visit www.compassrosebenefits.com/Careington.
So, let’s chat & chew about EYE EXAMS!
August is National Eye Exam Month, which is dedicated to educating people about the importance of eye health and safety.
While you may think your eyes are healthy and there are no signs of vision problems, the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) recommends a complete eye exam every two years for adults ages 18 to 60, and annual exams for seniors age 61 and older. It’s not uncommon for seniors to experience blurred vision, eye irritation, and more, which are typically caused by the weakening of your eye muscles.
Symptoms to look out for include:
- Blurred vision with glasses
- Extreme sensitivity to light
- Consistent eye pain
- Red eyes
- Burning sensation
- Constant watering
- Black spots in sight
Avoid such symptoms with these preventative tips from Freedom Home Health Care:
- When washing your face, use a clean towel and water to wipe the lid are to prevent infection
- Be sure to get a healthy amount of rest
- Consume Vitamin A and proteins (i.e. nuts)
- When watching TV, on the computer and/or reading, be sure to have good lighting, take short breaks to rest the eyes and make sure the print is large and clear
- Do not read in a moving vehicle or bed
- Use UV protected sunglasses
For more, feel free to check out a previous newsletter article discussing the effects of technology on our eyes! Click here.